Senior Software Engineer (Android) (comp listed)
Maisha Meds is hiring! We’re looking for an experienced software engineer to improve health care in East Africa!
Our main product is an Android app that both operates as a point-of-sale tool and helps pharmacies manage their inventory and restock products. Our app is used by hundreds of pharmacies in Kenya, Ethiopia, and Tanzania to support hundreds of thousands of patients every year. We're rapidly expanding our user base, and are planning on expanding to more countries in the future.
We also launched a loyalty program to help subsidize medicine for patients and reward pharmacists for better medical practices. We’ve helped thousands of patients in the past couple of months and we’re aiming to reach significantly more by this year.
What We're Looking For We're entering an exciting new phase of our loyalty program and are looking for great software engineers! Not only are we collaborating with researchers, we're aiming to expand this program to multiple countries this year! We would like this individual to scope Android-based work and deliver on the project, with the support of the tech team.
We're looking for an engineer (preferably experienced in Ruby on Rails and React) to collaborate with our tech team, lead development for new and exciting features.
The ideal candidate has:
- 5+ years of building quality applications
- A history of writing clean and well-documented code with automated tests
- Experience integrating with REST APIs
- Ability to scope large, abstract problems to small, concrete tasks
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well with a culturally diverse team (we're a mix of Kenyans and international team members)
- Experience building systems for environments with limited or intermittent Internet connectivity is a plus
Our preferred technology:
Kotlin RxJava Dagger Mockito
Our headquarters is in Kisumu, on the shores of Lake Victoria. Many members of our organization are remote across Kenya and internationally, especially on the tech team, though we are exploring opening a satellite office in the US or Europe to build a cohesive culture for senior engineers. Location will be decided based on interest of new tech team members. We were remote before COVID and we’ll continue to be remote work afterwards. We would love to have you join us on-site in Kisumu (for a flexible amount of time) once it’s safe to travel again.
We’re a small, friendly team that values open communication and mentorship and we provide a benefits including health insurance and 401(k) / pension.
Why You Should Join Us
- On a roll: Doubling year over year with new funding partnerships soon to be announced and recent expansion into Uganda, Nigeria, and Ethiopia
- Great team: Founded, managed and backed by successful veterans of Stanford School of Medicine, Google, mPharma, I&M bank. We have technologists, clinicians, and economists working side by side to solve difficult problems.
- Great funders: We’re backed by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, USAID Development Innovation Ventures, CIFF, WHO FIND, and Pfizer to pay for healthcare on behalf of patients, with others to be announced soon.
- Huge market: Disrupting a massive, growing $50+ billion market for healthcare payments for low-income patients, with a focus on paying for health outcomes to ensure patients get better.
- Great customers: Create incentives that ensure our nurses, pharmacists, and clinicians provide excellent care and pay them when this happens.
- Impact: A fun and exciting start-up culture that empowers its people to make a huge impact.
If you're a good fit, we'll contact you in January.