Data & Technology Strategist
The Movement Cooperative
Data & Technology Strategist
Do you want to ensure that progressive organizations have access to the best possible data, technology, and technical expertise? We know movement organizing and advocacy are more urgent than ever and many organizations and activists cannot easily access the tools to scale their work.
Launched in 2018, The Movement Cooperative (TMC) is a nonprofit founded with the aim of creating a cooperative community addressing these structural challenges. Currently, our membership stands at nearly 75 national member organizations and 500 state-based organizations covered under our licenses. We leverage the collective purchasing power of our membership to secure cooperatively held data and technology licenses shared across membership and invest in common infrastructure like technical staff to support our members in their work. TMC is also a member cooperative -- our board is elected by and made up of our member organizations.
Data and Technology Strategists provide the technical assistance and expertise that our member organizations need to get started and then ongoing support to achieve their goals and maximize their impact. We help with establishing syncs, data pipelines, analytics, and reporting from a continually-expanding suite of organizing and digital tools.
- Maintain a shared data warehouse, create strategically critical reporting dashboards, build data syncs and pipelines, and provide other related data and technology support in a thoughtful and speedy manner to diverse member organizations with varying needs and levels of expertise
- Facilitate conversations on both traditional and more experimental methodologies for turnout, digital organizing, persuasion, and/or advertising
- Use SQL to manipulate and analyze data from member programs, the voter file, and other data sets; as well as support members in understanding those reports
- Train member organizations on the strategic use of the voter file and other member data sets
- Work within the larger Data and Technology team to provide general member support and contribute to long term projects.
- Dedication to our members and furthering their reach and impact, along with broader progressive issues and campaigns
- Basic SQL skills
- A desire to continuously learn new things
- Experience interacting with and analyzing the voter file, census data and/or another large dataset
- Project management experience, including delegation, managing up and managing expectations for themselves and projects
- Excellent time management skills
- Able to communicate and collaborate with emotional intelligence across multiple internal and external stakeholders.
- Comfort communicating via remote work tools like Slack and Zoom
- Passionate about diversity, equity and inclusion and a commitment to incorporating these values into your everyday work
We especially encourage applications from people who have any of these additional qualifications:
- Experience working on campaigns, electorally-focused, or advocacy organizations, with at least one full cycle in a data-related role
- Experience with data visualization
- Experience with Digital ad data
- Experience using the Civis Platform
- Moderate or better SQL ability
- Experience with programming languages such as Python or R
- Experience training others on technical tools
- Experience working with APIs, HTTP or data syncs
- Experience with NGP VAN, ActionKit, ActionNetwork or other commonly used progressive tools as a user and/or an administrator
- Prolonged periods of working on a computer
While a very young organization, The Movement Cooperative is dedicated to providing all employees a competitive salary, world-class healthcare, dental and vision benefits, retirement, unlimited paid vacation and sick days, flexible holidays, and all-staff holidays, remote virtual office, paid parental and adoption family leaves, and health and wellness benefits. The salary for this position is $72,000- $77,000. This is a full-time exempt position.
This position is within a union-represented collective bargaining unit, and specific terms and conditions of employment may be subject to a future collective bargaining agreement between TMC and the Union.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter detailing why you are interested in this role and your qualifications, in PDF format.
Here’s what you can expect from our interview process:
- Application Review
- Materials Submission
- Panel interview ~60 minutes
- Interview with hiring manager - 30 minutes
The Movement Cooperative is an equal opportunity employer.
The Movement Cooperative recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship status, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
At The Movement Cooperative, we have a clear vision: to be the organization where a diverse mix of talented people want to be, to stay and do their best work. We pride ourselves on bringing the best to our members, and we know our organization runs on the hard work and dedication of our passionate and creative employees.
Something looks off?