The Movement Cooperative
Launched in 2018, The Movement Cooperative (TMC) is a nonprofit founded with the aim of creating a cooperative community addressing these structural challenges. Currently, our membership stands at more than 75 national member organizations and 500 state-based organizations covered under our licenses. We leverage the collective purchasing power of our membership to secure cooperatively held data and technology licenses shared across membership and invest in common infrastructure like technical staff to support our members in their work. TMC is a member cooperative -- our board is elected by and made up of our member organizations.
The Billing Specialist is an entry-level and growth-focused role. This role has a focus on managing both accounts receivable and payable processes, standard operating procedures, reporting, and day-to-day activity. This role requires a highly organized and focused individual with a strong work ethic and the ability to execute diligently and meticulously. The measurement of success for the Billing Specialist is in high customer satisfaction ratings, low error rating as defined by Finance department management, and efficient processing of both incoming and outgoing funds in support of the Finance department management Director of Finance Manager and other fiscally-focused team members.
- Manage assigned data into invoicing systems accurately and timely
- Support all data entry into accounting systems
- Ensure accuracy of both receivable and payable data input in the accounting system
- Liaise with internal TMC teams such as legal and membership to clarify contracts and communicate member activity where appropriate.
- Manage and collect on accounts receivable balances to keep outstanding debts to a minimum
- Review and post payments through various methods (check, ACH, online payments etc.) and oversee their end-to-end documentation and processing
- Proactively manage reminders for customers, elevating concerns to management as needed
- Answer questions and handle inquiries from customers and internal stakeholders, regarding bills
- Confirm accounts payable are paid via contractual agreements and in a timely manner
- Store and retain all AP and AR records reliably
- Calculate member receivables (order amounts, bulk or usage discount rates, etc.)
- Issue documentation to customers and vendors in a timely fashion through various channels (mail, e-mail, slack, etc.)
- Handles internal and external communications alike from a customer service oriented lens
Required Mindsets and Attributes
- Fluent in equity concepts and language, understands their own privilege and power, and is able to bring equity impact analysis to life in the context of their tasks
- Dedicated to progressive issues, campaigns, and organizations
- Proactive, growth-oriented, pragmatic and detail-oriented project management skills
- Creative collaborator within a remote team
- A diligent and conscientious interpersonal savvy; overt willingness to act as a cross-functional worker who never sees something as beyond their purview
- Unquestionable personal code of ethics, integrity, diversity and trust
- Cares deeply about getting results, stays attentive to all specific tasks/follow-up items, and consistently meet deadlines
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting/finance or a related field of study, or relevant work experience
- A minimum of 1-3 years of experience with a proven track record in accounts receivable and payable, collections and billing
- Thoughtful, highly-developed and customer service oriented communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong attention to detail
- Working knowledge of AR, billing/collections and/or AP
- Familiarity with electronic bookkeeping, invoice submission and invoice appeals
- Experience with productivity, communications and project management software, particularly MS Office, Google Apps, AirTable, Slack
- Ability to travel periodically for staff and/or member events
We especially encourage applications from people who have these additional skills:
- Managed multiple member/client accounts
- Experience with accounting software ( Sage Intacct, BILL)
- Managed or worked within a cooperative governance organization
While a very young organization, The Movement Cooperative is dedicated to provide all employees a competitive salary, world-class healthcare, dental and vision benefits, retirement, paid vacation and sick days, flexible holidays, and all-staff holidays, remote virtual office, paid maternity, paternity and adoption family leave, and health and wellness benefits. This is a full-time exempt position and compensation for this position will fall between $60,000 - $70,000, commensurate with experience.
This position is within a union-represented collective bargaining unit, and specific terms and conditions of employment may be subject to a future collective bargaining agreement between TMC and the Union.
The Movement Cooperative is an equal opportunity employer.
The Movement Cooperative recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship status, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
At The Movement Cooperative, we have a clear vision: to be the organization where a diverse mix of talented people want to be, to stay and do their best work. We pride ourselves on bringing the best to our members, and we know our organization runs on the hard work and dedication of our passionate and creative employees.
At The Movement Cooperative, we have committed to and aspire to center diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout all of our work. We believe that our work fundamentally depends on our ability to create a culture that's equitable and inclusive for people of all races, genders, sexual orientations, religions, ethnicities, locations, national origins, and other characteristics not listed here. We believe that the broader progressive movement and world should also operate in these ways and achieve a world where that is the case is at the core of the mission of our organization and the missions of many of the member organizations we support. Our commitment to these principles are grounded in the idea that we can never achieve those missions if we don’t also reflect these values internally. We, at TMC, also recognize that while we list these here as commitments, we also imperfectly embody them in practice. In many ways, we continue to perpetuate the same structures, behaviors, and orientations that stifle full equity, empowerment, inclusivity, and belonging. We acknowledge that perfection is unattainable and anticipate falling short.. However, we are deeply committed, and view with the utmost urgency, the ongoing work, reflection, and intentionality that will move us closer to these aspirations both immediately and in the long term. We actively encourage & invite applicants who share these commitments, are willing to proactively share the responsibility of co-creating an organizational culture that increasingly embodies these values & principles, and are enthusiastic about joining a team where we hold each other mutually accountable to not deviating from these commitments.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter detailing why you are interested in this role and your qualifications, in PDF format.
If you are selected for an interview, here’s what you can expect:
- Application Review
- Skills Assessment/Materials Submission
- Panel interview - 45 minutes
We are looking to fill this position as soon as possible.
Something looks off?